A Chocolate Lovers Dream Cake
Just close your eyes and I want you to imagine 3 rich and moist chocolate cake layers, that are sandwiched together with a Kahlua infused chocolate whipped cream, a sprinkling of crushed cookies and a rich chocolate ganache, now open your eyes and tell me if you picture this? its called the Mississippi Mudslide Cake.
If you love this recipe and would like to see more, It is from Jocelyn Delk Adams New cookbook called Grandbaby Cakes. In it you will find Jocelyn tells stories of her family and their traditions, and the recipes that have been handed down from generation to generation. You will find amazing recipes for Pound Cakes, Layer Cakes, Sheet Cakes, Baby Cakes, Celebration Cake and Seasons/Holidays!
You can order your own copy of Grandbaby cakes here
Mississippi Mudslide Cake
for the cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee (dry)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
Kahlua whipped cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Bailey Irish Cream liqueur
- 2 Tablespoons Kahlua liqueur
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
for the ganache
- 6 ounces dark chocolate chips (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chopped chocolate sandwich cookies (Oreos)
for the cake
- In a large mixing bowl, combine, sugar and eggs, beating on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Combine, hot water, cocoa powder, instant coffee and salt. Add to sugar mixture until well combined.
- Turn mixer down to low speed and add flour, baking soda and baking powder, mixing just until combined, making sure to scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Add oil, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix just until combined.
- Dived batter evenly between 3 greased 9 inch cake pans. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 22-25 minutes, until toothpick incerted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cakes cool for 15 minutes, then invert onto racks to cool completely.
Kahlua Whipped Cream
- Before making whipped cream, place large mixing bowl and beaters/whisk attachment in the freezer for 10 minutes to chill.
- Place whipping cream in chilled bowl and beat on high speed until soft peaks begin to form.
- Turn mixer speed down to medium and add remaing ingredients, mixing until stiff peaks form but being careful to not over beat. Refrigerate whipped cream until time to assemble cake.
for the ganache
- In a medium microwave safe bowl (I use a 2 cup measuring cup) place chocolate chips and cream. Heat in microwave on high for 45 seconds, until cream is hot but not boiling. If needed, heat an additional 15 seconds. Remove from microwave and let sit for 2 minutes before stirring until chocolate is completely smooth and all chocolate is melted. Let cool before using.
- place one layer of cooled cake on cake plate. Using 1/3 of whipped cream, spread whipped cream on top of cake to within 1/2 of edge of cake (this will spread with the additional weight of the other layers.) Sprinkle whipped cream with 1/3 of chopped cookies and then drizzle with 1/3 of chocolate ganache.
- Repeat with next 2 layers. Refrigerate cake until ready to serve.
Bake the cake layers the day before and freeze them. When ready to assemble cake, remove from freezer 30 minutes before assembling. You can omit the Baileys and Kahlua in the whipped cream, in this case, add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Source:- Chocolate chocolate and more